Friday, March 6, 2009

(Hopefully) Whine-Free

So my decision to wait on God for His leading in various things has led to some startling discoveries:

1. I don't take a lot of time each day to really listen to God.

2. I'm not tremendously patient.

3. When I'm really stressed, I like to eat ice cream.

Okay, maybe they're not all that startling or revelatory, but man -- waiting. Who thought it would be so hard? I mean, I can wait in doctors' offices, cars, malls, coffee shops and the like. Granted I often have other things to occupy myself with such as magazines, other people, and driving safely. Why the difficulty waiting for things to come into that right time with God's plans? Why the need to barrel on ahead and do something? Is it so wrong to just sit and listen and look at the things there are to do now and do, well, those things?

I was talking to a friend about it and she put forth an analogy that is helping me in the waiting aspect of things:

Just get your focus back on God and relax, knowing that it's out of your hands, knowing that timing is everything. If that cake is taken out of the oven five minutes too soon, it falls flat and is raw in the middle; five minutes too late, it's tough and dry. But right on time? It's high and moist and flavorful. Perfect.


And I'll just leave it at that.

One tangent, though: Nicholas Sparks. I have one of his books ("A Walk to Remember"), but cannot bring myself to seriously read any more than that one or see any of the movies based on his other bestsellers. They're just too . . . dramatic and overly saccharine in my opinion (I have flipped through more than one, so I'm not wholly uneducated in said opinion). I guess I'm just not an epic romance kind of a woman. I'll take the wit of Jane Austen any day over the "I love you but I can't be with you oh wait I can until something big and epic tears us apart but I will love you forever and forever live alone if something happens to you because that's just how great our love was even though we may not have always even known each other that long" stuff.

Now I'm done. ;-)

1 comment:

Essay said...

I can't read Nicholas Sparks either. I'd rather eat sugar straight up. At least the resulting sugar high would be entertaining.