Monday, December 13, 2010

This Writer's Life


“A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult
than most other people.”  -- Thomas Mann

I have been writing in some form or another pretty much since my school days.  Much of my writing during those days was required – stories, book reports, research papers, exams and the like.  What little I did because I wanted to do it was kept to diaries/journals, letters/notes, and the odd silly story during junior high with friends when science class felt a little. . . . dry.  (Hey, at least we weren’t melting Bic pens with the Bunsen burners, Mr. Beazer!)

It wasn’t until I had the notion to write a fan fiction story based on Catherine Marshall’s book Christy that I wrote a story simply because I wanted to write one.  That in turn let to some devotional stories being penned for family members, more fan fiction stories, and eventually two writing courses, a blog, and many National Novel Writing Month entries.  In fact, I don’t think I’ve quit writing since that initial story all those years ago.  Mind you, I’ve debated quitting many times as I’ve questioned if I actually had the ability or was just deluding myself as to my ‘talents’.  Then there are the questions of whether I really have the time to properly devote to such endeavours, and (as a Christian) if this is what God really wants me to be doing, and is there any point to fictional stories (which I truly enjoy working on when not typing up blog entries)?  Then there are the many uncompleted stories I have occupying computer bytes, file folders, and a binder or two. 

Yet here I continue to sit, fingers clicking away on the keyboard and ideas bouncing around in my head.  I think writing is more difficult at times for writers as per Mr. Mann’s quote, but at the same time also find the greater difficulty for myself (and many other writers I would imagine) lies in not writing.  Actually, I think that’s true for anyone’s gifting, or their calling, even, if you will.  We’re all wired a certain way and created on purpose with a purpose to fulfill here on earth.  To not do that, to try to ‘fit’ our selves into something else is like wearing a too-small shoe:  It pinches and makes it difficult to keep moving forward.

I can’t be the only one who thinks on these things – what about you?  What do you think you’re meant to be doing?  And are you doing it?  Maybe we can all encourage each other put on the right pair of shoes for the journey.



2 comments:

RandomThoughts said...

"We’re all wired a certain way and created on purpose with a purpose to fulfill here on earth. To not do that, to try to ‘fit’ our selves into something else is like wearing a too-small shoe: It pinches and makes it difficult to keep moving forward."

Yep yep! The trick is to differentiate between earning a living and pursuing our calling. Sometimes the two are the same, but more often we must be like Paul, making tents to put food on the table while we also use the unique gifts God has given us. I imagine that tent making actually provided Paul with opportunities to serve God by using his gifts! So, jobs that seem like "merely work" can actually give us chances to pursue our divine purpose. It is up to us though to make use of the time we're given.

crosscribe said...

". . . but more often we must be like Paul, making tents to put food on the table while we also use the unique gifts God has given us."

Talk about a light bulb moment with the above bit! Thank you!