Saturday, September 8, 2007

Procrastinating or Smelling the Roses?

I caught the last bit of Ellen DeGeneres' stand-up routine on the Comedy Network a couple of Saturdays back and discovered she has the best way of looking at procrastination. It is simply the universe's way of telling us to slow down. So I have, therefore, not been procrastinating in regards to writing my novel. I have been stopping to smell the proverbial roses.

The only glitch with this is my instructor will most likely not buy it if I fail to send in my next assignment (ack! the third chapter!) by Wednesday.

siiigh

I'm thinking part of the problem I'm having is I really want this to be *perfect*. It needs to be funny, advance the story, show the reader what's going on and just be really good. It could also be I really did let too many people read what I have written to date, thereby opening myself up to more pressure in that now I have more people to (possibly) critique the thing. Or else I worry if they don't say anything at all. (Which is worse -- criticism or silence?) And is this whole thing just a hobby for me or something I really want to do something with (aka earn some money)?

Hmmmm . . .

No comments: