Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Good Timing

I arrived at work this morning after having Monday off and found my desk sort of in order. There were papers here and there, mentions made of X not getting done and some other what-nots to sort through. All in all, I was stressed for a little bit but by the end of the day, things were getting back on track.

But as I am at times inclined to do, I was thinking about all the things I haven't done yet (ranging from around-the-house stuff to school assignments to relationships) and feeling a bit discouraged. Until I went to my church's weekly prayer meeting, that is, and after praying for things I knew I needed dealt with beforehand and things I discovered there I needed dealt with, my pastor did a short teaching after on Proverbs 16: 2-3:

2 All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes,
But the LORD weighs the spirits.
3 Commit your works to the LORD,
And your thoughts will be established.


Now we humans like to think everything we're thinking is a-okay. But God weighs the spirits or, in other words, what is motivating our hearts. Now my pastor did some word studies which I should really look up as I can't 100% remember how he explained this verse. So in order to not mess it up, I'll just leave that one alone for right now.


In verse three, the word "commit" means in the original Greek that we are to 'roll off' our works -- the things we do in our day-to-day lives -- onto God and then our thoughts will be correctly established (this last part ties into the previous verse, which (again) I'll have to do some studying on). Much like a camel would lower itself down and tilt to one side to roll off its heavy burden, so are we to kneel down before God and roll off onto Him the heavy burdens we are carrying. Then our yoke will be easy and our burdens light.


I'll add more on this when I can, but what I did share really touched me and encouraged me tonight. Sometimes I get really frustrated with myself and/or others and/or (I'm sorry to say) God. Then something like this happens, leaving me so thankful to know a God who knows my heart so well.


:-)

No comments: