Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Lost in the Translation

Planning a story is great fun until I need it to have a specific purpose. Or maybe I do have a purpose, but in my mind it lacks a certain je ne sais quois which, when translated, means it lacks a certain degree of literary greatness which will then translate into a contract and sales. Or something to that effect -- my French is a bit rusty.

Anyhow, it then follows that my story has no purpose. I think that is why National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for the initiated) holds such an appeal for me. I can just dive in with the vaguest of ideas and character names which I hope to remember two chapters in and run with it. Literary greatness, sales, and getting a publisher are no where near my 'to do' list. Okay, they're lurking at the edges but if they make too much noise it's the time-out chair for them!

And, darn it, my NaNoWriMo story is never lacking in purpose. It must not peter out before I reach the 50, 000 word mark or exceed the 30-day deadline.

If that's not overflowing with je ne sais quois then I don't know what is.

No comments: