Saturday, August 18, 2007

Signs

There is road work going on just outside of the town where I live. And because where I live is not where I work, I get to drive through the construction zone twice a day, five days a week. No, wait . . . hubby and I are in the city often on the weekend, so it would be two times five plus three more . . . no, wait . . . four . . .

Yeah, I drive through it a lot.

And it amazed me one morning how many people put off getting into the correct lane. There are signs, big signs letting motorists know there will soon be the one lane of traffic. Yet many a person will pull out from behind you, go speeding off and then basically budge in front of you because (surprise!) there is now only one lane of traffic.

Then I was thinking how often do I do the very same thing when it comes to doing the things God has planned for me. I see the signs where He is telling me to slow down, wait a second (or however long) yet I go barrelling on ahead only to end up having to wait. Or things are mucked up because I had to budge in. (Then there is the reverse, where you wait and wait and wait (aka procrastinate) until you have to go speeding off to try and catch up. Only to be thisclose to your destination and delayed further because you're getting a ticket.)

So the trick is to read the signs. Then obey them. It will really safe you time, frustrations and (depending on the circumstances), cash.

We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it.
Proverbs 16:9 (MSG)

1 comment:

Annabear said...

I really like your analogy & the verse you posted, Michelle. Very apropos. Thanks!